Optimizing Raw Material Management in Food & Beverage Manufacturing with TMS Solution
In the world of food and beverage manufacturing, the effective management of raw materials is a pivotal factor that influences the quality and safety of the final products. Raw materials serve as the foundation for producing the goods that fill our supermarket shelves. Yet, the journey from sourcing raw materials to delivering finished products to consumers is filled with challenges. One of the most critical challenges is managing raw material expiration. This issue can be a significant obstacle for manufacturers, but it’s a challenge that can be effectively addressed with a Transportation Management System (TMS) solution.
Shocking Global Food Wastage Stats – Greenly
Approximately, over a third of all food produced (~2.5 billion tons) is lost or wasted yearly.
One-third of this occurs in the food production stage!
Boston Consulting Group (BCG) estimates that wasted food is worth $230 billion.
Handling Raw Material Expiry Challenges:
Managing raw material expiration can be a complex challenge for food and beverage manufacturers, and it stems from several factors:
Inventory Management: Handling a vast array of raw materials can be overwhelming. Without streamlined inventory control, materials may be forgotten, misplaced, or improperly stored, leading to spoilage and waste.
Supplier Dynamics: Timely delivery of raw materials by suppliers is crucial. Delivery delays can curtail the available shelf life of these materials, putting undue pressure on manufacturers.
Production Scheduling: Unforeseen disruptions in production can result in unused raw materials, compelling companies to discard expired inventory and incur significant losses.
Regulatory Compliance: The food and beverage industry is highly regulated, with strict guidelines concerning the use of expired raw materials. Non-compliance can result in fines, product recalls, and reputational damage.
How Does TMS Solution Come to the Rescue?
Transportation Management System (TMS) solution is a valuable tool for addressing the challenges of raw material expiration in the food and beverage manufacturing industry. Here’s how TMS software can help:
1. Efficient Inventory Management: The TMS solution offers real-time visibility into the movement of raw materials, allowing manufacturers to track the location, quantity, and shelf life of materials. This enables efficient planning and utilization of raw materials before they expire.
2. Supplier Collaboration: TMS software facilitates seamless communication with suppliers, enabling proactive management of material orders and deliveries. Proactive communication helps prevent delays that could shorten the shelf life of incoming materials.
3. Optimized Route Planning: TMS solution helps plan the most efficient and cost-effective routes for raw material transportation. Basically, it minimizes transit times, reducing the risk of materials arriving late and expiring before use.
4. Quality Control: TMS systems often integrate quality control modules, allowing rigorous inspection and testing of incoming materials. Ensuring materials meeting stringent quality standards are only accepted, reducing the risk of using subpar or expired materials.
5. Regulatory Compliance Support: TMS solution can incorporate compliance features that automatically flag or restrict the use of expired materials during transportation. It certainly helps manufacturers adhere to industry regulations and avoid compliance-related pitfalls.
Real-World Application: Streamlining Food and Beverage Manufacturing with TMS Solution
In the food and beverage industry, where the quality and safety of raw materials are paramount, a TMS solution tailored for this sector brings several benefits:
Real-time visibility: A clear view of raw material inventory and their expiration dates during transportation.
Supplier collaboration: Facilitates communication with suppliers to ensure timely deliveries and adherence to quality standards.
Optimized route planning: Minimizes transit times and reduces the risk of materials expiring in transit.
Quality control: Enforces rigorous quality control measures during material acceptance.
Compliance support: Assists in adhering to stringent food safety regulations and industry standards during transportation.
The Best TMS Solution For Handling Raw Material Expiration Challenges
Raw material expiration challenges are a constant concern for food and beverage manufacturers. Albeit, the TMS solution has emerged as a potent solution to address these challenges. By offering efficient inventory management, supplier collaboration, optimized route planning, quality control, and compliance support, TMS solutions enable manufacturers to extend the shelf life of their raw materials.
This reduces waste, minimizes the risk of using expired materials, enhances product quality, and safeguards profitability and reputation. In today’s fiercely competitive market, where efficiency and compliance are non-negotiable, food and beverage manufacturers must pay attention to the advantages of TMS solutions in managing raw material expiration effectively.
LogiNext offers a robust TMS solution that is an essential ally for food and beverage manufacturers. We additionally help in their quest to streamline raw material management and ensure the quality and safety of their products. Want to ensure seamless delivery of raw materials in the food and beverage industry? Talk to our experts. Click the red button below to learn more.